FoIP from soft phone

I came across , which claims that it's possible to send a FAX by e-mail, for free, which sounds very cool.

In terms of VoIP and FoIP: "More generally though, faxing over IP is possible, but has to be specifically supported. Many VoIP providers do not support faxing, purely because it adds more overheads to their network, and the benefits of FoIP are not as obvious as VoIP (namely, because there is no compression, and because faxing does not usually involve long phone calls, the savings are not as large)."

What are some common ways of doing this from a soft phone setup? While I've yet to make a skype call to a person, I've tested skype and it seems to work fine. I was surprised to not find a plug-in of some sort enabling FoIP.

Thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir
Loading thread data ...

Tobias Erichsen wrote: ..

this looks interesting. I also came across

"FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol, such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP networks."

-Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI

formatting link
to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or SIP-link.

It is possible to use both T.38 and T.30 (softfax using a G.711 transparent link). When using T.30 the ip-connection to your provider should be rather good (latency/jitter/packetloss) as the modem-modulation of T.30 is a bit less resilient against bad line-conditions as T.38...

Tobias

Reply to
Tobias Erichsen

Actually they are right - you need a really good connection with low latency, low jitter and low (better zero ;-) packet-loss.

So on a normal WAN-link (isdn or dsl) lot's of times this won't be easy to achieve - and it is exactly the reason why T.38 was invented. But even for T.38 too much packet-loss and bad latency are not really helpful.

The softfax (T.30) mode in XCAPI was really implemented for use within LANs. Because there is quite a bit of environments where T.38 is not viable (very depending on the voip-infrastructure in place), in that case T.30 over a G.711 link can be a good solution to pile of problematic configurations....

Tobias

Reply to
Tobias Erichsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.