Videoconferencing Software (Direct IP to IP on LAN/VPN)

On 30 Dec 2005 I posted this to comp.dcom.videoconf ...

I'm looking for something like Yahoo Messenger's video chat feature, > but able to function on a LAN that does *not* have internet access. > > Ie, a simple client that works with a cheap USB webcam: start the > program, enter the IP address of the person you want to videoconference > with, and you have a two-way video chat going. Voice is a plus but not > necessary. Has to run on Windows. > > There's got to be something like this out there, but all of the free or > cheap software I've been able to find needs some kind of central server > ... and thus internet connectivity. > > Any suggestions? Thanks.

... and someone suggested using NetMeeting

NetMeeting worked fine on our LAN ... but now I'm trying to get this to function over a VPN and slow internet connection. The quality of the NetMeeting video is far below that of even Yahoo Messenger's built in webcam feature. But since we want the security of a VPN and Yahoo IM won't work in that environment, I'm looking again.

Any other suggestions? I don't mind paying for software, so long as there's a trial version or shareware to eval first.

Basically I'm looking for a program to get two-way video chat going directly from one IP to another. If it has tweakable bandwidth, framerate, resolution, etc, so much the better. One end is a cable modem in North America, the other end is a 256 kbps SDSL connection in Asia.

NetMeeting is perfect ... except I think it's trying to send too many frames per second, and it's performing horribly on our slow, long distance connection. Yahoo IM quality is sufficient, but lacks the security of our VPN.

Thank you.

Reply to
monkey.omen
Loading thread data ...

what about cuseeme ? , check out my site and download or try a free java reflector

cheers

formatting link

Reply to
macfreak

for a short bandwidth you need a professionnal soft coding in h264 like polycom pvx or e-conf from france telecom. you can try polycom freely.

Reply to
Jacques Ichane

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.