Phone Line Director

Right now I've got two lines. Line 1 is business only. Live 2 is personal and fax. I have an HP 920 fax on Line 2. I am hoping to avoid installing Line 3.

The issue is Line #2. I need something to differentiate between incoming voice and fax calls. It would be nice if the fax would pick up incoming faxes and ignore incoming voice, while the phone with answering machine, would not even "hear" tine incoming fax calls. Years ago I had such a device which was less than perfect. Are these things still around?

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

You could put a distinctive ring extra number on your line 2 and use one those ring splitters to hook up your fax. Its cheaper than a full line and no extra wiring or truck roll is needed.

-mhd

Reply to
-mhd

There are some fax machines that do this. There are also devices called "Comshare" that will do it.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Many fax machines can be programmed to listen for the distinctive ring and only answer the second number so you don't need a splitted. You set the fax to answer after one ring, and the answering machine to answer after four or five so the machine only gets the voice calls.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Multi-Link makes a device I've used a lot. It sits on the phone line and listens to the ring then passes the ring on to one of 3 jacks. Nothing has to be answered for it to work. And the distinctive rings tend to be more "distinctive" than a device trying to tell a voice call from a fax call from a modem call.

Reply to
David Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.