Fractional PRI: How do I get the data lines to serve internet to lan

I have been tasked with bringing in a Fractional PRI circuit into our new office. The PRI will be divided into 6-Phone lines and the rest for data/internet. My question is, how will the internet connection be served to the lan. What is a typical setup, including Interface connections, hardware..etc.

Basically I would like to know what is needed inbetween the PRI coming into the office to the FireWall (WatchGuard x700).

As you can tell, I am fairly new to this level of telecom so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

elguapaul

Reply to
elguapaul
Loading thread data ...

Typically a router of some kind.

What you need is an add/drop MUX T1 router. Adtran and Cisco make the most popular ones with the add/drop MUX features.

Frankly, you probably should contract with the telco to provide the hardware and setup if you don't know what you are doing at this level. Doing add/drop T1/PRI is probably beyond the first level cisco training.

If they are offering you a fractional PRI (not something offered in my area) then they'll probably know better than most what is required. The local LEC here offers Cisco gear at the cheaper end of the discount curve, so its not a big penalty that way.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Oh, a Coastcom drop/add router or maybe an Atlas box. A friend knows a bunch about same if you want more details.

Reply to
David Lesher

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

Reply to
Steves

Thanks all... great help !!!

I now have some idea as to what I am getting into.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Elguapaul

I have done this before using Kentrox Add/Drop CSU/DSU's. You will want to use channels 1-6 +24 for the PRI and channels 7-23 for the Data Port. The six phone lines and data channel will need to be configured for DATA and not voice. This can be done but it is not for the faint of heart. Good Luck Joe

Reply to
NetJoe

If it's not too late to chime in here, some newer generation routers can be configured with a drop & insert function like the aforementioned Kentrox CSU/DSU. One example from the Kentrox line is the model Q2400 QoS Access Router. Here's a link to the marketing page & datasheet:

formatting link
The funny thing about this unit is that its list price is less than the equivalent Kentrox add/drop CSU/DSU, and you get a router with QoS as well.

Full Disclosure: I work for Kentrox.

- steve

Reply to
BassManPDX

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.