Chaining up multiple redundant power supplies

Are there any devices available on the market that will allow me to hook-up multiple redundant power supplies to provide higher wattage outputs and better power redundancy.

Something like chaining up four of the following 3x225W (N+1 450W) redundant power supply together to provide >1800W of total power. I need this for a VoIP clustered servers.

formatting link

Has anyone done this before?

Reply to
Ed Kane
Loading thread data ...

In article <c0b8$41227778$43646c43$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com>, Ed Kane snipped-for-privacy@covad.net writes

OK. Here goes......

The unit your link takes me to only has ONE mains input.. So there is a single point of failure to start with!

You can NOT just connect the outputs of several UPS's together. Some units will allow you to connect additional batteries. - Equals a longer run-time, NOT a higher output capacity.

Find a 'hot swap' power supply cage where the individual supplies have individual mains inputs. Also look for terms like 'phase independent'. You can then run each supply off its' own UPS. - no single point of failure. You need phase independence as if the mains fails, and a supply is then powered from the UPS, the phase of this 'mains' will drift with respect to the other supplies. If it gets far enough out of phase, it is like having three-phase mains available. - This can fry things!

Either go for a UPS big enough for the whole lot, or separate UPS's on each rack or server.

HTH Phil Partridge snipped-for-privacy@pebbleGRIT.demon.co.uk Remove the grit to reply

Reply to
Phil Partridge

Why not go with a power supply designed for Central Office applications, that provides N+1 redundancy ? Most use battery backup, which eliminates the phasing problems mentioned for UPS.

Here's a vendor web site that shows various options:

formatting link
can be found via Google.

Reply to
DonS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.