2500 Desk sets - Parts is parts

Good afternoon all! Here on Campus we supply a 2500 desk set to Departments that don't want to buy their own analog phone. Years ago we also used to supply and maintain 2500s for the dorms but with vandalism costs and the fact that most of the kids would rather use their own phone, we stopped that and have ended up with plenty of 2500s in boxes for parts.

Thus we have plenty of "guts" to fix the ones in use, mostly Strombergs with a smattering of ITT (now Cortelco) and Comdials, all pretty much interchangeable. I *was* buying new plastic parts (clear faceplates and ash colored housings, hollow handles, xmitter & recv caps) from Sprint North Supply to pretty them up to send back out, but recently got an email saying SNS was "realigning their market segments" and I would no longer be a customer.

I called my Cortelco rep and he said their 2500 parts were available from distributors, so I'm checking with Power & Tel on that. I know Sandman has the clear faceplates and handsets but at 4X the price I was paying.

Does anyone know of a place that sells generic housings and G-type handset parts?

Thanks!

-- Roger Elmore Telecommunications Dept. University of Tennessee at Martin relmore at utm dot edu

Reply to
Roger Elmore
Loading thread data ...

Check Graybar - I used to buy Cortelco from them - I dunno about parts though. I'm wondering if it is really all that cost effective to buy parts. Doesn't a 2500 set sell for about $30.00?? Would probably cost at least to or three times that to build one from parts. I think I'd take a look at canabalizing what you have to keep the current stock working then inject new phones into the mix as your inventory runs low.

Just a thought.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Quotes on the cost of Cortelco parts (new housing, faceplate, 6' coiled handset cord, hollow handle, transmitter & receiver caps) are averaging $10, up from the $5 I was paying at SNS for their Premier house brand.

A lot of the six hundred (low estimate) 2500s currently in use on Campus are 25 years old. You can't kill these things. They just look like junk and new plastic parts gussy them up like new. I have around two hundred perfectly good units with junk plastic in storage. It's just good public relations to sit a new *looking* phone on someone's desk, and bad economics to pay 3-4 times the cost for a new replacement instrument merely for asthetics.

And a valid one, but not for the current situation. Your suggestion was done 10 years ago by the former tech in my position. Now I have a self-imposed goal and currently stated directive (I do work for the state guvmint, ya know) to "standardize phones on campus". That meant getting rid of around eight Nortel KSUs (they were cost effective at the time) behind our NEAX PBX in favor of propriatary DTerms. With an upgrade from MDS to IPX we now have the capacity to give those users the digital multiline sets they need, I don't have to stock 7310 and

7324 sets along with DTerms plus I can do the programming and most troubleshooting from the MAT rather than going to the remote site.

I've also dropped support for 3 and 4 line analog service... an 8-line digital only takes one pair so the wiring is easier to maintain and document, and what I pay for a refurbed DTerm is comparable or less than what was previously paid for a 3 line Panasonic (try and find a

3-line now), never mind what you pay for a 4 line "KSU-less" phone these days. And again, I don't have to stock replacement units and different colored handset cords in two lengths. Remember, people want their phone fixed *fast*, not wait 3-7 days for me to special order something.

Currently a lot of the 2500s I have in the field are non-modular, some even at the line cord, so swapping out on the fly is hit or miss. If they have a hard-wired line cord it's either open the phone and disconnect T&R or move a desk to get to the wall jack to use a buttset for initial testing. I've also found at least 4 different colors of old 2500s floating around. I have minimum wage student workers to keep busy and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to swap out plastic and replace hardwired connections with modular jacks on a working 2500.

It's just that the Golden Goose gave up the ghost and I was looking for another source, hopefully around the same price, of the parts I use.

But thanks for taking the time to reply.

Reply to
Roger Elmore

Were they dumping the telco repair parts line; or shedding you as a customer? If the latter, what happens when you get a new name and tray again?

SNS would deal with almost anyone, but at list price... it took volume to get discounts. BUT not all lines [phone parts, wire, etc] had same minimums...so you could buy Y$ of say alarm parts and be important, whereas it took 10Y$ worth of cable...]

Reply to
David Lesher

You may want to look at these people, who mostly make hospitality phones, many of them 2500-style sets.

formatting link

Reply to
daryl.gibson

I got an email a few months back saying "some of you will no longer be customers" but a couple of weeks ago I got the one that singled me out. They're also sending "close out specials" emails that make me think they're liquidating a lot of stuff. A websearch found an article from late 2004 IIRC that said they'd laid off 4000 workers, a bunch at their Kansas site. The current SNS main webpage says they're changing their name to Embarq. Who knows?

Reply to
Roger Elmore

Thanks for the lead.

II'm waiting on one each of the Cortelco 2500 and 2554 models in ash to arrive so I can check color match with my current SNS parts. SNS had roughly 700 ash 2500 housings left so I bit the bullet and bought 500 of those along with the handles and caps (2K+ of those were in stock) since they're half the price of the Cortelco quotes. I'd ordered 200 previously, so 700 total should get me through this current project. By the time they look as bad as the ones do now, maybe we'll be all IP.

I still could use a cheaper source of clear faceplates. Cortelco price is 4X that of SNS, who ran out at 100. 600 will cost me $1,116 as opposed to the previous $282. I'd like to treat the TN taxpayers better than that if I can.

Reply to
Roger Elmore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.