Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

UN Panel Aims to End Internet Tug of War by July
GENEVA (Reuters) - A U.N.-sponsored panel aims to settle a long-running tug of war for control of the Internet by July and propose solutions to problems such as cyber crime and email spam, panel...

Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers
If you read my original article you'd see that I addressed this that when they introduced GSM on cellular frequencies they decided for whatever reason to call it GSM 850. The truth is that it uses the...

Re: Calling For Real Competition
Nope. Way to whimpy a requirement. There should be companies that provide bandwidth and companies that provide services. The bandwidth providers should sell to anyone and never under any circumstances...

U.S. Appeals Court Debates Anti-Piracy TV
This has the potential to be a very important case. If the FCC loses on this one, it will probably mean that hardware copy protection on computers, DVD players, and other devices is probably dead --...

Lawsuit Alleges Foul Play in H-P Printer
Note that at present this is just an allegation. HP has apparently not yet answered the complaint, and there has been, as yet, no adjudication. ANGELES A Georgia woman has sued Hewlett-Packard,...

Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise
Bruce Meyerson, Associated Press NEW YORK The acquisitions of AT&T and MCI by larger rivals are the most dramatic evidence of long distance calling's steady decline as a business distinct from "local"...

Re: Telemarketing?
Is it possible for a consumer to order cigarettes from the manufacturer by telephone? Did they call my aunt to make sure the order hadn't been placed by a minor using her credit card? If a customer...

Re: A Telecom Capital No Longer
The above is typical of the mantras chanted by the business types. They ignore the role of technology in the picture. If fiber optics and microelectronics had not appeared on the scene we would still...

I believe it was mentioned earlier that they answered "Marlboro." Presuming it is honestly associated with the makers of Marlboro cigarettes, depending on their purpose they may ask for the date of...

Re: Withholding the Telephone Tax
I think you have a 'hidden' agenda with this post, but it isn't all that well hidden. Your only point was that you have a problem with President Bush, am I right? I thought you were done preaching...

Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines
Others have noted that circuit numbers other than conventional telephone numbers have been used on dry pairs but, even if the DSL department's systems were built assuming that every DSL line had a...

Choreboy wrote: If it truly was Marlboro calling (and not someone lying about their company affiliation), then they really would have a good reason for asking for a potential customer's birthdate....

WebTV 911 Prankster Guilty
By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus Feb 17 2005 3:22PM A Louisiana man pleaded guilty this week to two federal felonies for tricking a handful of MSN TV users into running a malicious e-mail attachment...

Paris Hilton's Sidekick Hacked
By Lucy Sherriff Paris Hilton's address book, famously kept on a T-Mobile Sidekick, has been popping up all over the internet after someone managed to figure out her password. The Drudge Report says...

Feds Square Off With Organized Cyber Crime
By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus Feb 17 2005 8:07PM SAN FRANCISCO--Computer intruders are learning to play well with others, and that's bad news for the Internet, according to a panel of law...