Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Are ISPs Blocking VoIP Calls?
Since VOIP went to great lengths to get unregulated status, I don't understand why they would have any standing with a regulatory agency. AFAIK, ISPs are not regulated either. It is my understanding a...

Hollywood Studios File New Round of Web Lawsuits
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood's major movie studios filed a new round of lawsuits across the United States on Thursday against people who trade illegally copied films and TV shows on the Internet....

Expensive Anti-Piracyware Threatens Open Standard
By Lucas van Grinsven, European Technology Correspondent AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A handful of technology companies are overcharging for anti-piracy software needed for digital music stores on the...

Toll-Free Number Pointed to Sprint PCS Handset
I am looking at taking on an additional product line that has its own toll-free number. What I would like to do for now is to add an additional Sprint PCS handset to my account and point that existing...

Databases Called Lax With Personal Information
Jonathan Krim Washington Post Staff Writer The Social Security numbers of millions of Americans, including Vice President Cheney and celebrity heiress Paris Hilton, are available to many subscribers...

Re: U.S. Appeals Court Debates Anti-Piracy TV
Don't read too much into the remarks of judges at oral argument, especially Edwards. He loves to bait lawyers, tell them they've got a loser argument, crossed the line, gone too far, etc., and then he...

Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill
Caroline E. Mayer Washington Post Staff Writer Thursday, February 24, 2005; Page E01 Beth Plowman, a Damascus international public health adviser, was shocked when she discovered that a $27,240...

Is Your Identity Safe?
How many times have you been asked for your personal financial information and you gave it up without protest? And how much information do you carry around in your wallet or purse that could be used...

Federal Effort to Head Off TV Piracy Is Challenged
By TOM ZELLER Jr. Mike Godwin, the legal director for Public Knowledge, a digital-rights advocacy group in Washington, is a fan of Showtime's new drama series "Huff." So three weeks ago, when he...

Wal-Mart Is Upgrading Its Vast In-Store Television Network
By CONSTANCE L. HAYS PEARLAND, Tex. - Here in the Houston suburbs, Banana-Vision has arrived. That's the industry nickname for the 42-inch high-definition L.C.D. monitor installed directly over a...

Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise
Then, as now, most long distance calls were to nearby points to which the operator had direct trunks or on high-traffic routes to which operators also had direct access. If they needed routing...

2nd Symposium on Networked Systems Design/Implementation (NSDI
May 2-4, 2005 Boston, MA, USA Bird Registration Deadline: April 18, 2005 Sponsored by USENIX, in cooperation with ACM SIGCOMM and ACM SIGOPS Dear Colleague: We are writing to invite you to the 2nd...

Britain Launches Internet Virus Alert Service
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain launched a Web site on Thursday aimed at helping computer users avoid damage from Internet viruses and other online threats. The government-funded IT Security Awareness for...

AT&T Must Pay Fees on Prepaid Calling Cards, FCC Says
Telecom dailyLead from USTA February 24, 2005 'S HEADLINES NEWS OF THE DAY * AT&T must pay fees on prepaid calling cards, FCC says BUSINESS & INDUSTRY WATCH * European telcos seek seamless...

Mob Bell
A curious account of how a small, independent telephone company in a small town in Missouri was purchased and taken over by some folks who the federal government alleges are 'mobsters'. The Village...