Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Paper About Metcalfe's Law
From the CyberLaw list ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:20:58 CST From: Andrew Odlyzko Subject: FYI: paper about Metcalfe's Law Dear Colleagues, Sorry for the spam, but...

ChoicePoint Data Cache Became a Powder Keg
Thief's Ability To Get Information Puts Heat on Firm By Robert O'Harrow Jr. Washington Post Staff Writer Saturday, March 5, 2005; Page A01 The man on the phone called himself James Garrett. Speaking...

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge
And it was 3.2% beer in Kansas 40 years ago. Anything stronger was illegal then, in both Kansas and Oklahoma. As Pat says, Kansas, like other places, has changed over the past 40 years. Especially...

Re: Vonage
Why not use Vonage's website to cancel your account?

Re: Municipal Wi-FI and Incumbents
Speaking of which, I noted a Cisco wireless router hanging from the ceiling of my local Shaw's (Aka Albertsons and boy do I hate that fact!) today. One of these days I'll borrow a friends iPaq with...

Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?
So GSM that we have today is a patch on top a patch. Nice to think about that. http://www.mckerracher.org

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge
Ah -- Wellington, Kansas. I haven't thought about that town in years but it holds a special spot in my life story. It was the first place I was ever served in a bar, almost 40 years ago. I was 16...

Nonsense. GSM phones have always done this. I think you're stating this because GSM has become more mainstream than it was several years ago. That's because CDMA uses a different scheme to communicate...

Last Laugh! Virgin Mobile Canada
Question to Virgin Mobile Canada: will your Canadian service link up with your U.S. service? Answer: We are experiencing technical difficulties. Your email was not sent to us, please try again later....

Re: Vonage
No kidding. I ported my number to Lingo almost a month ago due to Vonage's poor service and non-existent support, and I'm still trying to get hold of someone at Vonage who can cancel my account....

This kind of interference is specific to phones which use a TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) protocol (such as GSM), where the phone transmits only during its time slice several hundred times per...

Applying 'Sell Discipline' to the Baby Bells
'Sell Discipline' to the Baby Bells Evergreen Manager Moves From Acquisitive Firms to Wireless and Utility Stocks By Danielle Kost Bloomberg News Sunday, February 27, 2005; Page F04 Timothy O'Brien...

Conflicting Portraits Of Ebbers Drawn
WorldCom's Detail Man or Hands-Off Mentor? By Brooke A. Masters Washington Post Staff Writer Wednesday, March 2, 2005; Page A01 NEW YORK -- WorldCom Inc. former chief executive Bernard J. Ebbers was...

MCI and AT&T Leave Little Guys Behind
By Yuki Noguchi Thursday, March 3, 2005; Page E01 Lobbying against the regional Bells is about to become a lonely cause for XO Communications Inc. of Reston. For years, XO, MCI Inc. and AT&T Corp....

Re: Is Your Identity Safe?
The currently fashionable approach would be for the credit agency (or equivalent) to hold the consumer's public key and deliver it to the bank or other entity desiring to verify the consumer's...