Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Hookflash and Ground Start Analog CO Trunks From PABX
Robert Bonomi wrote The real question IS: Why is Robert questioning someone else's understanding when he has so little himself? Loop start lines are not always analog and ground start and wink start...

It's Degrading: VoIP Firms Urge More FCC Action
's Degrading: VoIP Firms Urge More FCC Action By Roy Mark Internet telephony firms praised Thursday's action by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to fine a small telecom for blocking Voice...

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge
It seems obvious to me that the traditional, old line, department stores have been replaced by *malls*. No, it's not one big store with clothing, furniture, housewares, and whatnot all under one name,...

Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?
The little song that GSM phones sing seems to be in a low enough frequency range that it's picked up inductively by just about any audio system. My car has a shelf under the radio, and if I put the...

Re: FCC Reaches Telco Settlement to Stop Blocking VOIP
It's not always that simple. Here in my high-tech haven in the Pacific Northwest Verizon has managed to price DSL service at a level which prevents other ISP's from competing for DSL broadband...

Re: Municipal Wi-FI and Incumbents
And we all know why Verizon and SBC don't like the idea. First - Skype is now available for the Palm OS. So tell me, what happens when for say $10 a month you can use the muni network. You load Skype...

Re: Vonage
They definitely have some problems in different parts of the country but my service in the northeast has been rock solid. I wonder -- I know I'm on a Paetec switch so is it a Focal issue?

Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?
What you've got is *normal* operation of the phone. Any cell phone does much similar things, on a similar schedule. The phone transmits "every once in a while", a "Here I am" notification to the...

Re: Hookflash and Ground Start Analog CO Trunks From PABX
Do you even understand the difference between a _POTS_ (analog "loop start") line, and a "ground start" (aka "wink start") *trunk* line? Does your "Total Com" connect to the C.O. with POTS lines? If...

Telecom Update (Canada) #471, March 4, 2005
************************************************************ TELECOM UPDATE ************************************************************ published weekly by Angus TeleManagement Group 471: March 4,...

Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'
I totally agree with this. But remember the courts do as they please. A case in point. A very religious married couple in Ann Arbor, Michigan owned a apartment building. Because of their religious...

Re: Phone Prefix 620-924
TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to Carl Moore: reports the 620-924 exchange as being assigned to the "Tri-County Telephone Association," whatever that may be, and lists the switch as a Nortel...

Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?
I've been noticing lately that a lot of the newer GSM phones are starting to do this. I worry that GSM handset manufacturers are starting to get a little bit careless in taking steps to avoid...

Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'
You comparison is overbroad and overreaching, and compares apples to oranges. I would think of it more this way: let's say that your phone company provider, be it Verizon or other LEC, decided that...

Re: Voom Goes Boom
Aside from that and all the other drawbacks mentioned, it's important to realize that Voom was the pet project of Charles Dolan, chairman of Cablevision. The rest of Cablevision's board was not very...