Why T-Mobile wants Verizon's discarded 4G airwaves [telecom]

by Kevin Fitchard JAN. 6, 2014

Verizon has owned these 700 MHz licenses for six years but never found a use for them. One's man trash is another's treasure. By buying these licenses T-Mobile can build an LTE network more like Verizon's.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

T-Mobile already has an LTE network - they bought MetroPCS. I'm a Metro customer - 4G phone and all.

So I doubt they'll be able to use the spectrum either.

***** Moderator's Note *****

So, why did they buy it?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
T

Probably just corporate stupidity at it's finest. Look at it this way, once you get past say 150 people in corporation it becomes more and more difficult for one unit to know what another is doing.

I've experienced that when I worked for a certain verticalized computer company that bought the InfoSec company I worked for at the time.

Reply to
T

Not at all. Every chunk of bandwidth that you buy is a chunk of bandwidth that your competitors are unable to buy. It's a limited resource and it's in every telecom company's best interest to tie up as much of it as possible whether or not they have any use for it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Sheesh, a little Googling quickly turns up plenty of new articles that answer the moderator's question and refute the idle speculation seen above.

For example, see

formatting link
or
formatting link

But even without such details, why is it so hard for people to accept that carriers can offer service over more than one band of spectrum? By expanding their bandwidth, T-Mobile can support more simultaneous users in the affected areas. Even better, the new chunk of spectrum is technically more desirable (better building penetration, etc.) than their existing LTE blocks.

Bob Goudreau Cary, NC

Reply to
Bob Goudreau

If T-Mobile uses 700mhz in my area, it ought to let me get reliable service in my basement. That would be welcome news and I would then switch back to T-Mobile from AT&T.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.