The Digest needs a new rack-mount computer [Telecom]

Thanks for reading this: it's an appeal for support, but we need hardware instead of money.

The home of The Telecom Digest is massis.lcs.mit.edu, and we're very grateful to the Laboratory of Computer Science at M.I.T. for their help, support, and rack space, but now LCS and the Digest need your help to keep the Digest going.

The digest, the archives, and the telecom-digest.org website live on a Sun Sparc 20 that is showing its age. We're out of space, which has prevented me posting some _really_ nice material on Western Union and Teletypes that I just received from Jim Haynes, and which limits any future additions.

We'd like to upgrade both the hardware and the software, but space is tight and the lab would like to standardize the OS in the process, so we're looking for a 1U or 2U rack-mount machine with at least 40GB of space that will run Debian GNU/Linux and which has a 100 or 1,000 Mbps Ethernet connection.

If you have a rack-mount machine that will take up only 1 or 2U, and which can be run under Debian, please consider donating it to the digest. It will live at MIT, and eat only refined, purified, regulated electricity, and bask in the attention that only the best minds in the computer world can give it.

The Digest will thank you, and so will I.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
TELECOM Digest Editor
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.