[telecom] The Microwave Radio and Coaxial Cable Networks of the Bell System

I've come across an extraordinary site that has lots of info about AT&T Long Lines.

The site is at

formatting link
Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for posting this, and for other historic links people have posted. I have a wiki devoted to Broadcast History, but it also include a section of links on telecom history. I add stuff as I discover it (often from this newsgroup).

formatting link
Thanks!

Harold

Reply to
harold

That is a very interesting site. I was quite a student of televison at age 15 when the first transcontinential bi-directional live broadcast was a CBS "See It Now" in mid-November, 1951, some two months after the first one-direction broadcast two months before.

From Wikipedia:

"The show was an adaptation of radio's Hear It Now, also produced by Murrow and Friendly. Its first episode, on November 18, 1951, opened with the first live simultaneous coast-to-coast TV transmission from both the East Coast (the Brooklyn Bridge and New York Harbor) and the West Coast (the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay), as reporters on both sides of the North American continent gave live reports to Murrow, who was sitting in the control room on CBS' Studio

41 with director Don Hewitt."

I remember it well. I knew it was going to happen and really wanted to see it. But, my mother insisted we go to her brother's home for Sunday dinner. He didn't have a television set.

I whinned enough about it that he took me across the street to a neighbor's house who had a television set. The three of us watched the program and were enthralled. Ed Murrow kept making a big deal about the live, two-way hook up, as he well should have.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.