[Telecom] Service Migration Advice

I'm not a telecom professional but am fascinated by telco engineering and systems. It's frustrating when consumer/retail-level customer service folks aren't educated or have no real systems understanding, so I'm appealing to the pros here for a bit of advice or suggestions.

In the next few weeks, I will be moving to temporary housing several states away, then a few months after that to permanant housing in that same new area.

The first apparent fib I was told by Century Link CS sometime back was the ability to move my current land-line number (have had it for

33 years) to a different area code -- and still use the old area code. (There are reasons to keep this number, even in a different location, but I won't waste time on those right now.)

That trans-area code move seemed counter to what I've understood about the "traditional" telco system, but I was assured that 21st technology and systems allowed for this.

Still doubting, I called again a day later and got the same answer from another Century Link CS rep -- no problem moving land line numbers around, even to different area codes.

When I called a 3rd time a few days back to actually do this, I was told "no, sorry, we can't do that."

If that's true, it seems the only option I have is to port that old land line number to a new cell phone or perhaps a VOIP account. I might do the cell phone port while at the temp housing, then move it to VOIP when finally in the permanent housing. (Temp housing internet connection is poor, thus limiting VOIP options. Excellent internet service exists at the permanent location, however.)

I would not carry that new cell phone, it would sit on the desk and be treated as a stationary land-line phone. (I already have a cell and cell number that I want to maintain, and don't want to carry two phones. Cell providers tell me I can only have one number per cell phone.)

I also have a custom ringing number on my old land line account. Inbound toll-free calls are forwarded there. This is perhaps easier, as the toll-free service provider can forward inbound toll-free calls just about anywhere. The ring pattern identifying an inbound toll-free call would be gone, but that's not a serious problem.

It seems that what I really need is the opposite of what google voice provides: they appear to offer one inbound number that can then be fanned out to various numbers. But what I'd like is the ability to collect inbound calls to multiple numbers and forward them one number (current cell, for example), all without the need for a "permanent" account from the likes of Century Link.

Right now, it seems the pragmatic solution is that porting of my old land number to a new cell phone (this can be done for sure). Toll-free calls would be forwarded to that new cell as well.

Fortunately, at the moment, the call volume on the old land and toll-free numbers is light and I can likely do fine with a cheap, pre-paid, non-contract cell.

Sorry to be so long-winded; hope I've made the situation clear.

I'd be most interested if anyone has better ideas about managing this changing situation, and even a final word if it is possible to put any area code in a different area code. (And if yes, what I need to say to a CS rep to make that happen.)

Thanks in advance Frank

Reply to
Frank Stearns
Loading thread data ...

It is just poor training and laziness, and probably the fact that with area-code overlays, the LEC sales reps are used to dealing with multiple area codes in a given area, but didn't bother to check if this was a change to a different rate center. That isn't allowed in the traditional LEC wireline service.

Sure, it could, but LECs are dinosaurs and don't want to upset the apple cart, because then they'd probably lose all their customers. :-)

Another choice may be cell-phone related, but several of them provide a "home-phone" cell option. Much like a VoIP box, but communicates via cell network, plug your standard phones into it. Mine came with a battery backup in it, no idea how long it would last. You can pick up the box and transport it anywhere and have the same phone #, much like cell-phone roaming. If you are staying there, you probably want to get your E911 location registered properly.

Another one may be buying voice service from the local cable company, which may be able to LNP the number into their system whereas traditional LEC won't do it.

I don't know what services support custom ringing through.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:01:01 -0500, Frank Stearns wrote, re:

1) Before your old land line number gets itself disconnected, you *can*, I believe, port it (for a one-time $20 fee) to Google Voice (provided you have at least one available phone line -- land or cellular -- that your new Google Voice service can still ring through to).

(If that's wrong, someone, please holler!)

Mmm ... that depends. 2) Here's one scenario under which one cellular handset can have (ring for, and call out as) two different numbers: there are dual-SIM GSM handsets that accept two entirely independent phone SIMs, each issued by its own cellular service provider, and each offering its own phone #. You can take up two lines of service with one provider, or a line of service with each of two providers, pop the corresponding SIMs into such a handset, and be able to choose which of the two SIMs to use for a given outbound call (or SMS), and whether one, both, or neither of those SIMs shall be "present" to accept inbound calls (or SMS).

Only "problem" is that at most one call can be active at a time.

One such handset: Sony Ericson's Xperia Tipo Dual (ST21a2 or ST21i2) -- but there are many more, I'm sure.

Your other questions will depend on others here for answers, sorry. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to

I successfully transferred my land line to a cell phone. I cut the cord and like having my home phone in my pocket. The transferring company usually will handle the switch so you won't have to deal with the liers. Mark L. Smith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

They are not liars, they are just probity-challenged.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Mark Smith

Google Voice only will port in Mobile phone #s, they won't touch landlines.

So, if you want to LNP in your landline to Google Voice, you would have to do a shuffle, get the landline LNP to a cell provider, and then from that cell provider onto Google Voice.

The cost is $20 as you said via Google Wallet.

OBI (a voip hardware device that can also talk to Google Voice for service) has an FAQ on how to do that shuffle the cheapest on their site

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre


Which hardware and carrier did you select for the home-phone cell option?

Not terribly fond of the cable companies in general and will probably stay away from them, but that might be an option at some point. Thanks for the idea.

Probably little or none if I forward to a cell phone, but that's okay for now.

Thanks to you and tlvp for very useful information.


Reply to
Frank Stearns


I have AT&T wireless service in a family plan, so porting in my landline got added in as a $10/month family plan member.

I did a 2-year contract to get the equipment for free + activiation, but they also threw in a new DECT phone x 3 system.

I don't remember what the part # is on it, but the description page is here

formatting link

Came with its own SIM (locked to the box), and is otherwise standalone. Plug it in and go. It was very painless.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

After eight years I finally shut my Vonage service off. The Cable company around here, Cox, is finally feeling the pressure of having a competitor in Verizon's FIOS product.

To the point where my bill went down by $20 a month, I now get the phone service from the cable company, and my net speed increases.

Interestingly the phone and net come from one device now. It's a Cisco device - even has a 2500mAh battery in it to keep the phone service up for eight hours.

Reply to

You might want to double check as to whether that Cisco unit's battery power mode gives you both phone and internet or just the phone mode. The standard FIOS units only provide phone.

Oh, and as we all know quite too well, there's plenty of electrical magic boxes between the cableco's (equivalent of the) central office and most subscribers. When utility power goes out in an area wide hiccup, having a battery at your box might not do much for you.

Reply to
danny burstein

I did check. It only covers the phone service and not net service. So a UPS might be in order too.

And yes - I'm aware that the amplifiers on the poles require AC power to operate.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.