Re: WW II Long Distance Narrow Bandwidth; Toll Rate Drop

In reading Bell System histories, it appears that they purposely

> narrowed the bandwidth provided for voice long distance calls so as to > increase the capacity of circuits. During the war, the phone system > was under extremely heavy use. > Would anyone know more about this and when it was concluded? > Apparently it remained after the war because new DDD signalling > efforts caused a problem. > IIRC, the normal bandwidth for telephone voice is about 4 KHz. I'm > not sure how much the narrowed it or what part of the bandwidth they > took off (I think it was the upper end), so perhaps the bandwidth was > 2.5 KHz.

'Traditional' voice bandpass was 300-3,000 Hz, with a fairly sharp roll-off past the endpoints of the passband.

I wonder how much it affected clarity.

To paraphrase a Clintonism, "it depends on what you mean by 'clarity'". 'High Fidelity', it wasn't. :) "Good enough for 'speech' purposes, it definitely *was*.

If you know a ham operator that plays on the HF frequencies, you an get a good feel, by listening in on some of those conversations. Most of the better receivers have variable width audio band-pass you can kick in, and given a 'wide' signal, you can _hear_ what happens as you go to the narrower bandpass settings.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.