Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?

Where to start? Well ... Run your own fiber :-)

That was the first idea. Option exhausted.

Personally, I don't think you need GigE -- 100Mbps or even 48Mbps may > suit you well ... You make no mention to how many computers you have > on each side, but the server can only handle so many connections > (limitation of a single NIC)

Well we've really hit the ceiling with 15mbps now. There are all kinds of citrix connections breaking, files can't be transferred etc. Think

30 desktop/laptops in each location with most of the servers in one location. 15mbps doesnt cut it, and we'll quickly hit the ceiling with 50mbps since at least one site's switch will be gigabit. We have a dual subnet setup, and with the citrix licenses it all adds to the running costs. Not to mention the additional servers for the second site. We'll maintain it as is if theres no feasible option, but it never hurts to fish.
For a lot of money you have this option: >
formatting link
Gbps for 1- 4 miles...

Someone else mentioned this to me. In Canadian dollars, including tax etc its 75000. I'll keep this at the back of my head if the company really grows.

For less money you have this option: >
formatting link
150Mbps ...

Wave wireless sells (802.11g based) 108mbps for way less. Problem is given the protocol you cant aggregate the links properly, two 108 links or channels dont add to 216. Cant do etherchannel either. This is the most likely way to go for us if the telcom wont even take $$$ to lay fiber.

Or for some good, carrier grade 48Mbps MAX (Time Warner Telecom uses > these) >
formatting link
> I use those RAD AirMux 200 radios for our backhaul - not bad... With > the right module you can even run 4x T1 lines over it for voice > traffic or whatever...

Dlink and now Linksys sell APs at 802.11n that can do ~100mbps and theoretically 600mbps in time. Jack up the power and add directional antennae and I'm golden. Just thought there might be something better out there I haven't heard of.

Reply to
Ghazan Haider
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.