Re: What About Areas Where Alphabet is Not Like Ours?

>> I raise the question, what does the telephone dial look like in areas

>> with alphabets different fron our own, such as Cairo, Egypt, or >> Beijing, China, or Oslo, Norway? Before the time of dial phones, how >> did operators communicate with multi lengual populations?. > It's my understanding that the addition of letters on the dial is > mostly an American thing, and European phones don't generally have > them at all. I expect this is similar in most of the countries you > mention, although I found a web page that mentioned that Russian > phones used to have cyrillic letters on them, but they don't any more.

European mobile phones do -- they use text messaging too.

My recollection is that desk phones have numbers. A search at

formatting link
found several phones with numbers clearly shown; for example, a "Téléphone ancien année 1950" where 2=ABC 3=DEF

4=GHI 5=JKL 6=MN 7=PRS 8=TUV 9=WXY. [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Unfortunatly, the 8-bit characters were impossible to correctly render in this message. PAT]
Reply to
Jack Hamilton
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.