Re: Welsh Operators Keep it English

[snip!]

> CARDIFF, Wales, May 8 (UPI) -- Telephone operators in Wales are

>> being told not to greet callers in the country's native tongue >> because the language may damage vocal chords." >> How bad does your language have to be that merely speaking it can >> damage your vocal chords? > I am a linguist, and I can assure you that I've never heard of a > language damaging vocal cords! Such a language would immediately > change into one that doesn't, since children of each generation > learn only what they can hear.

The UPI story might charitably be referred to as hogwash. I speak Welsh (probably the only kid on my block who does), and my vocal cords are good as new!

Journalistic hoax?

More likely the old-fashioned English prejudice against things Welsh. The French are, or used to be, even worse where the almost-identical Breton language was concerned.

Dale Neiburg ** NPR Satellite Operations ** 202-513-2640

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

--Plato

Reply to
Dale Neiburg
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.