Re: Wabash Cannonball (Was: Old Chicago Numbering)

For younger readers and not particularly Telecom related ... The

> nickname for the switching machine at the Chicago-Wabash CO > undoubtably comes as a reference to a very popular tune dating from > the Mid-1930s - "The Wabash Cannonball". Written by A.P. Carter, the > chorus line probably brought to mind the sound of the CO machine on a > busy afternoon: > Listen to the Jingle > The rumble and the roar > As she glides along the woodlands > Through the hills and by the shore > Hear the mighty rush of the engine > Hear those lonesome hoboes squawl > While traveling through the jungle > On the Wabash Cannonball! > The song relates a steam locomotive trip on the Ireland, Jerusalem, > Australian and Southern Michigan Railroad. Legend has it that the I, > J, A and SM was built by Cal S. Bunyan, a younger brother of Paul. > So there you have it!

I grew up knowing this old song even as an English kid many thousands of miles removed from its origins. I have the Carter Family's recording of it in my record collection somewhere.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul Coxwell
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.