Re: Old Chicago Numbering

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:22:09 +0100, TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to Paul Coxwell :

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The 'Wabash CannonBall' a/k/a Wabash

and of course, Uptown Station, the very elegant train stop which > served the Chicago, North Shore and Milwaukee Electric Railroad, one > of Samuel Insull's properties which was located at Wilson Street and > Broadway, in the heart of beautiful Uptown, a shopping district only > second in glamor to 63rd Street and Ashland. Its all gone today.
[many snips]

Pat -- Not telecom related, but just FYI. I'm a long time south sider (since 1948). I think you will find the major shopping area along

63rd was at Halsted. 63rd at Ashland, and from Cottage Grove to Woodlawn, were secondary. [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think you are probably correct, except that on east 63rd Street, it ran from Cottage Grove to Stony Island Avenue. It didn't stop at Woodlawn. All those stores, at least on the east end of 63rd Street are long gone now; many blocks through there are totally empty, just weeds growing. Where there had been a Walgreen's store (63rd and Woodlawn as I recall?) is now just a vacant lot littered with debris. I guess the Sears, Roebuck store over on the west end of 63rd is long gone also. I know that Englewood Hospital filed bankrupcty and closed down completely, and I think Woodlawn Hospital is also gone. The Illinois Central Hospital [originally, it was the medical department for the railroad's Chicago area operations] went 'public' for several years in the 1960-70's but I am told it bit the dust also. Hyde Park High School is around -- barely -- but whatever happened to Englewood High School further west? Englewood and Hyde Park (high schools) used to be rated in the top ten high schools in Chicago, sixty years ago, both with very excellent music study programs and college prep programs.

I know that after Chicago Transit Authority deliberatly allowed its property (the Dorchester Bridge over 63rd and Dorchester) to deteriorate so badly that they had an excuse to completely abandon the Jackson Park Elevated Railroad (the Jackson Park 'L' dated to the

1890's World Fair [Columbian Exposition at the site of the present day Museum of Science and Industry]) that was pretty much the end of things for all the merchants on the east end. I guess CTA still operates the 'L' trains on the west end of 63rd Street (what I always knew as Englewood) or have they abandoned that section of their system also when it got to be too deteriorated to use safely?

I cannot recall (if I ever knew that much) about the phone exchanges on the Englewood portion of 63rd Street; the only ones I can remember for sure were ENGlewood (773-364) for whom the central office was named, TRIangle (773-874) and NORmal (773-667). Both the hospital and the high school by that name had ENGlewood phone numbers. The Chicago Normal School (sort of like a college) was the rationale for that name, and all I know about TRIangle is the old Englewood Fire Alarm Office took alarm calls on TRIangle-4-0002. That was sort of odd; in the old days of POLice-5-1313 and FIRe-7-1313, where calls to police went to each central office and there were translated into (various)-1313 and sent on to the police headquarters downtown, calls to FIRe-7-1313 were translated in each central office as follows: telephone exchanges (and callers) north of 39th Street (in other words, all the north side and about half the south side) were translated into DEArborn-2-1313 and sent to the City Hall Fire Alarm Office in City Hall. Exchanges and callers south of 39th Street were sent to the Englewood Fire Alarm Office on TRIangle-4-0002. I am not really sure how they handled that.

Oh, and the CTA had (still has?) a converted horse barn (125 years ago, the CTA predecessor companies used horses to pull carriages around town; they housed the animals in the barn at 77th and Vincennes Avenue); at 77th and Vincennes, their 'counting room' is located there in addition to parking a few hundred busses there all night. Several years ago, when CTA came up several million dollars short and traced it back to employee thievery, several of the 'counting room' cashiers got the axe when the worker's union permitted CTA to fire them. Those folks also had a TRIangle phone number, quite similar to the phones at the Merchandise Mart HQ offices of CTA; MOHawk-4-7200 and TRIangle-4-7200 I think.

Reply to
BobT
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.