Re: The 411 on Directory Assistance

By FRED A. BERNSTEIN

> The New York Times > March 9, 2006 > Calling 411 for directory assistance can be maddeningly expensive. > Carriers like Sprint and Verizon charge more than $1 and sometimes as > much as $2 a call from a cellphone.. > And much of that is profit. Directory assistance "truly is a cash > cow," said Saroja Girishankar, a vice president at the Pelorus Group, > a telecommunications market research firm based in Raritan, N.J. She > and other industry analysts said that the carriers paid wholesalers -- > who actually provide the 411 service -- from 25 to 50 cents a call.

Our local directory assistance is two calls for free, then around 35c a call. I believe most places charge something like that for local directory assistance, and $1 for long distance directory assistance.

At one time directory assistance was a profit contributor in that a customer wouldn't be making a call without the number. In a day when most calls were metered that was important. About 50 years ago and longer, many people made long distance calls by name and city, not by number "operator, get me John Smith in Kansas City", and the operator would call KC information to get his number then make the call. The Bell System ran ads to discourage that and to call by number, then provided free distant information.

Over time however, the company found costs growing and many people using DA because they were too lazy to look in the phone book or to verify someone's name and address. So they began charging for DA use.

What bothers me is that many sources are INACCURATE. My own listing is totally fouled up on some alternative sources, though it is correct in my local telephone directory. The same alternative sources have an old number long disconnected still shown as in use. If someone tries to use one of those alternative sources they won't be able to reach me.

But I must admit in a way I'm glad those alternative sources are messed up. If someone truly wants me, they'll spend the 25c or $1 and call standard directory assistance and get my listing. I suspect the alternative sources are more of a resource for junk phone solicitations and junk mail. Charities and politicians are still quite heavy users of telemarketing. Some sleazy businesses call up and say "you've done business with us in the past so we're calling you today ..."

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.