Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies

I watched a number of movies on TCM lately and noticed various

> telephone dialing patterns.... In some scenes seven digits were > dialed, but > Or only four. I don't remember the name of the movie, but phone > number 6258 is important. The wife tries to call her husband at his > workplace (a school) by dialing the school PBX; he's not there, but > the school operator says he's at 6258. Wife then dials 6258, and a > strange female voice answers. Wife hangs up without say> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But, please remember that in smaller > towns with only one phone exchange (example 620-331) oftn times we > only orally give the last four digits when speaking with someone, > although we are required to dial all seven to make a call. PAT]

True -- same thing happens with 979-798 here in Texas. But that wasn't what happened in the unnamed movie: in that case, the wife clearly (and nervously) dialed four digits on a rotary dial phone.

I wish I could remember the name of that movie. Anybody recognize it?

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.