Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio

In a message dated Fri, 18 May 2007 09:43:57 PDT, Paul Coxwell

> writes: >> I have a Star communications receiver, built in the 1960s for the >> North American market and it has the band from approx. 1.6 to 1.7MHz >> marked as "Police," so presumably it was still in fairly widespread >> use at that time. > The Oklahoma Highway Patrol used to use 1626 kHz. I don't know when > they shifted away from that. > Wes Leatherock
1722 and 1730kHz are still available for use by police departments (see
formatting link
. A search of the FCC Universal Licensing System does not turn up any licensees using either of these frequencies. There are a lot of licensees in the 1700 to 1800 kHz region. Some of these are from the "public safety pool," but are Travelers Information Service stations instead of police dispatching.

Back in the late 1950s, I had an "American Five" vacuum tube radio that had the police band marked above the AM broadcast band. In the San Francisco East Bay area, I could hear Los Angeles police dispatch.

Harold

Reply to
harold
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.