Re: [telecom] Re: Wall Wart Solutions (APC P11VNT3)

************************** Moderator's Note **************************
  • When I get posts on subjects I don't know many details for, I turn *
  • to experts who can provide advice. One such person is my brother, *
  • Thomas Horne: he is a retired Master Residential Wireman who lives *
  • in Maryland. *

Bill

I'm putt> Tom,

In the absence of a whole house surge protection installation and for certain equipment even with whole house surge protection I would recommend surge protection for any circuit that uses metal conductors.

For any valuable device or one you would really prefer not to have to do without I would use surge protection that covered every conductor that enters the device or one of it's peripherals.

I don't have current pricing in my head but the cost is bearable. Using a cord and plug connected piece of Plugmold on the back of your desk or anywhere else you have several wall warts is how I would do it. You can then supply the strip of Plugmold through a good quality surge protector.

That will depend on what the wall wart supplies and how it is built. Since it is very hard to know the answer to the second question I would protect every one that supplies something that also has other wires running to or from it. The whole idea here is to avoid any sharp difference in voltage that will go higher than the withstand rating of the insulation and components used if it has 2 different conductor pathways connected to it protect them at a common point to a common bonding point. That doesn't mean that you have to buy an expensive purpose built protector which is all that and the bag of chips. Several robust single purpose surge protectors which are bonded to a single connection point will often cost so much less than an all-in-one that you can afford to buy better protection.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.