Re: [telecom] Detroit-area school chief quits over cell tower controversy

I did microwave installation work for about a year during my seven years at MCI.

A microwave junction station at a location known as 'Louisville South' was being constructed.

The locals decided that the microwave dishes would 'sterilize their children'.

They hired a lawyer and got our site construction permit restrained. So the building contractor had to end the job.

The local residents were always crashing their four wheel drive vehicles into the gate on the property. One fellow was caught running down the hill carrying a bunch of our copper ground rods on his shoulder. He had to drop them when our site personnel chased after him [as they were so heavy that he couldn't run fast enough to get away while carrying them].

We had to set up a temporary shelter to house our equipment so the project could move forward.

One day, our department manager and director were standing inside the temporary shelter when this fellow [who was described as half hippie and half red neck in appearance] walked up to the shelter.

He looked inside the shelter and then looked up the tower at the microwave dishes.

Then he yelled into the shelter, "Hey, man! Them is the biggest speakers I have ever seen, man! Are you having a rock concert up here, man? I'm going to be here for this rock concert, man!". Then he left.

For thirty minutes, everyone stood motionless and never said a word.

Then the local site manager said they got visitors like that all of the time.

They finally got the judge's order lifted. So, the building for the station was completed and the equipment moved into it. I had been sent on to another project elsewhere in the nation before that occurred.

They built a very strong security wall all the way around the property. They also hired an alarm monitoring company to keep surveillance on it.

That was the only junction station in the entire country that adopted those extremes for site security.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.