Re: [Telecom] Extending cell phone battery charge?

Depends on the battery charger, or whatever you plug into the "dirty

> power". Most new equipment can easily handle the 'modified sine-wave' > (MSW) output of better DC-AC inverters, but with old/cheap square-wave > inverters or cheap import portable generators with poor voltage > regulation and lots of harmonic distortion in the output power, all > bets are off.

I have an old inverter for the car (plug into cigarette lighter to get AC output). When I use a tape player on it to record, I get a buzz when I play back the tape, which suggests to me the power source is 'dirty'. Since the device is old (bought second hand), I suspect it'd be "square wave".

Lights dimming on a train could be the pantograph arcing and going > over 'dead spots' on an electrified line, or the engineer changing the > throttle setting on a diesel prime mover. If they don't use a > separate generator set to provide coach lighting power, minor AC > voltage fluctuations are inevitable and highly visible on fluorescent > lights.

It's on an electric train, either locomotive or self propelled. I'm more concerned that the power couplings between cars aren't loose. Also, I believe the car power is supplied at 440V and I don't know how good they are at knocking it down to 120. I think the outlets were intended for electric shavers or vacuum cleaners when the train is being serviced, neither of which is fussy about smooth current.

There was just an article in the NYT about commuters finding outlets in terminal builidings for their toys. Apparently the Port Authority is ok with that. I had to do that once and left my device for a minute, and came back to find the doors locked to the waiting room. Lucky I found someone to unlock them to get the device (a camcorder).

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: ....

Don't do that in a Airport "terminal" or you may find the place evacuated and yourself a suspect!

***** Moderator's Note *****

I second the recommendation: I once made the mistake of asking someone in line ahead of me at Heathrow airport to watch my bag while I went to look for me wife.

I got back to find a very solemn man with a machine gun, and he was not in the mood for my excuses. They take left luggage _very_ seriously in other countries.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.