Spam and ISPs

Dear Group,

I have made an interesting observation and would appreciate your comments.

I receive spam e-mail which is NOT addresses to me. The first three letters in the e-mail address of the spam are identical to the first three letters of my regular e-mail ddress, the remainder is not.

Example: my real address might be: abcd....@, but the address under which the spam is delivered might be abcxy....@

I have tried to mail to abcxy....@ and the mail does not reach me, nor is a message about undeliverabiltiy returned to me.

I find this curious. !.) How is it that an ISP will allow mail under an address which is not mine to pass?

2.) Why is it that I can't send and receive mail using this address? 3.) Why is it that no "undeliverable" message is returned?

Thank you for any explanations. GR.

Reply to
NoSpam
Loading thread data ...

Carbon-Copy or Blind-Carbon-Copy?

Because it's not yours?

Because you receive the mail?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

The spam mail wasn't sent to the mail address in the To: header. That has to do with how e-mail works. I'll demonstrate by manually sending an e-mail to myself:

cobalt@chrome:~ $ telnet mail.planetcobalt.net 25 Trying 217.10.9.49... Connected to mail.planetcobalt.net. Escape character is '^]'.

220 mail.planetcobalt.net ESMTP Postfix HELO planetcobalt.net 250 mail.planetcobalt.net MAIL FROM: snipped-for-privacy@planetcobalt.net 250 2.1.0 Ok RCPT TO: snipped-for-privacy@planetcobalt.net 250 2.1.5 Ok DATA 354 End data with . From: snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.gov To: snipped-for-privacy@example.com Subject: example

Example .

250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 6C7403C00084 QUIT 221 2.0.0 Bye Connection closed by foreign host. cobalt@chrome:~ $ _

The above SMTP chat results in the following mail in my inbox:

----88----

As you can see the From: and To: headers just show arbitrary addresses I entered there ( snipped-for-privacy@example.com isn't even valid as per RFC 2606). The real address the mail was sent to is snipped-for-privacy@planetcobalt.net, which you can see in the X-Original-To: and Delivered-To: headers that were added by my mail server.

Anyway, this topic is by no means security-related. The appropriate group for this kind of question would be news.admin.net-abuse.mail (where this question might be an FAQ).

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.