Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

CONCORD, N.H. --The E-ZPass system that will soon make it easier to

> pay tolls in New Hampshire will make it easier to track people's > movements, privacy advocates warn. > State officials say strict policies are in place to prevent that, and > stress that E-ZPass will be voluntary. They also say the system will > reduce traffic congestion and put off the need to expand the current > toll plazas.

Yes and No.

Some tollways give a big discount to EZPASS users and provide faster lanes, making cash users pay more and wait longer. (Other tollways actually charge more for EZPASS than cash users, which seems to defeat the whole purpose of the program which is to encourage widespread use.)

I'm sure each and every one of the organizations hit with big identity data theft/loss cases recently would've also told us they had "strict policies in place" what turned out to still happened, strict policies or not.

I myself use EZPASS to get a toll discount and save time; it's also convenient when I travel on other roads. But I don't like the loss of privacy. My toll bridge doesn't handle it, some service contractor down in DC does. The tollgates also have recording cameras to catch toll skippers. Anyone who gets my account number and pin number can go online and access my EZP driving history, and that's frightening.

There's also the concern if my car with its transponder unit is stolen.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.