Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History

I hate sloppy history in movie props. Were RJ connectors in use in 66?

> This could be the worst film/phone mistake since a movie (sorry I > forgot the name) that showed an actor using a Pacific Bell pay phone > in New York City some years back.

You may have missed a recent discussion on this newsgroup about how telephone props very often made the incorrect sound, such as ding-ding from coins in a single slot payphone, or a 300-type ringer on a 500 type phone. Characters dialing a phone call almost always dialed wrong, spinning the dial or dialing too few digits.

If a film made today is about an historical period, usually the phones will be wrong. It's common to have a black rotary 500 set with a clear plastic dial and modular cords as a phone in use in the early

1950s or even earlier. Other times a foreign old style set is used.

I suspect virtually film viewer won't notice modular cords instead of hard wired or the wrong kind of pay phone.

As to modular connectors, I don't think they came out until the mid

1970s. When we got new phone service in 1972, our jacks were the old style big 4-prong. I believe my office converted to touch tone and modular sets around 1977, many of us continue to use that system to this day, though I think most of the WE 2500 sets have been replaced with more modern 2500 sets or modern fancy sets.
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.