Re: Payphones [telecom]

snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com wrote in _news:9a688aeb-3356-4cda-9ae4_

(news:9a688aeb-3356-4cda-9ae4) -

eb080053df09@ > 60g2000hsy.googlegroups.com: >> [*McDonald's, by policy, did not want pay phones to discourage teens >> from hanging out. But diners and other restaurants always had pay >> phones, perhaps a booth in the parking lot and some by the restrooms. >> Some luncheonettes had a semi-public pay phone that doubled as the >> business phone.] >> >> That's funny, around here McDonalds is one of the few places where I have >> noticed public phones, but they are always in the parking lot, away from >> the building. >> >> -- >> Paul

Payphones at McDonald's are a fairly recent development. Some grocery chains also would not allow payphones within the store (only outside) for the same reason cited: to discourage people from hanging out. I was in a meeting once where a representative of some chain was explaining their policy, and seemed to be unable to understand why many of us (generally husbands) thought it was unreasonable to have to go outside in a blizzard to ask a question about something on the list. This was before cellular, of course, which has virtually eliminated the problem. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Interesting. I was in a supermarket and needed to call home for that very reason. They did have a pay phone but it was hidden.

I don't understand why a supermarket, or even a grocery store, would be attractive as a hangout for teens, as opposed to a fast food place.

Though I must admit the convenience store in my town is an attraction. Mgmt keeps the teens moving so they don't congregate, but it's an ongoing task: during town festival[s] ... they have to work at it, otherwise a huge crowd of kids congregate in front of it.

FWIW, this store has two Verizon pay phones out front that get used occassionally.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.