Plumbers and other artisans [telecom]

***** Moderator's Note *****

> >...I didn't make that much when _I_ was a surgeon!" > >Bill Horne, who's father was a plumber

Straying off topic, but you'll have to chuckle:

I once had my plumber in the middle of a cashectomy at my home, and overheard him on a cellular phone call to his auto mechanic. Apparently he needed major engine work performed on the plumbing van. "HOW MUCH?!!!", etc., etc. I imagine there's some sort of pyramid in the skilled trades; I wonder who's the top banana.

Art

***** Moderator's Note *****

I've made this into a separate thread.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Arthur Shapiro wr ote:

Which is why I troubleshoot as much as possible before calling anyone so I can tell them what's wrong (assuming I haven't fixed it by that point). I can't say for certain, but I really think when I tell the technician/mechanic exactly what's going on using the correct terms for the various thingamajigs, they decide they can't fleece me.

To keep this telecom related in 1995 BellSouth installed phone service to my house. The static was horrendous. They came out, claimed to have fixed it, but didn't. Finally I went out, fixed it myself, and then called them offering to let their techs know how to fix a static-filled line.

Reply to
John Mayson

You mean you actually spliced in a replacement for the part of the line that the squirrels had chewed half-way through? That's what makes for static on *my* line, anyway, roughly once every 3-5 years.

Cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

I did not know that Bell South ever served or tried to serve Austin. It was Southwestern Bell since, I believe, 1917.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

And I thought I was the only one! Why wouldn't the telco agree to my offer to provide an armored cable as a replacement, anyway?

Reply to
John David Galt

I never said I was living in Austin in 1995. :-)

I was in Florida.

Reply to
John Mayson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.