Re: Municipal Wi-FI and Incumbents

>> This is from yesterday's Guardian. It includes an interesting

>> juxtaposition of Verizon's and BT's positions on municipal Wi-Fi >> networks. >>
formatting link
>> Excerpt: >> ..... >> So far, so good. But city hall soon ran into serious problems that >> could stifle the wireless dreams of municipalities across the world. US >> cable companies, which see citizen-funded networks as a threat to their >> commercial fiefdoms, backed a bill that effectively outlawed municipal >> wireless in the state of Pennsylvania. In December, the state passed a >> bill forbidding any municipality in the state from running an >> "information network". Only a last-minute deal with Verizon, the >> state's de facto monopoly provider of broadband, saved Philadelphia's >> vision. Verizon promised to allow the city's network, but at the >> expense of the rest of the state. At least 15 US states are considering >> similar telco-backed bills to ban municipal networks. >> To Dianah Neff, Philadelphia's chief information officer, municipal >> wireless is no mere luxury. Neff, a veteran public servant, sees >> municipal networks as a potential leveller in a city where 70% of state >> school children receive free school meals. "We have a vibrant >> downtown," she says, "but we need to make sure all our neighbourhoods >> can compete in the knowledge economy. >> .......... >> Chris Clark, chief executive for BT Wireless Broadband, said the UK's >> biggest broadband supplier would not be taking the same approach as >> Verizon. "The community wireless projects, which started in an >> environment of concern about rural service, are evolving into providing >> all sorts of innovative services," he says. "It would be a pity to see >> such innovation stifled. More recently, a number of metropolitan >> wireless projects have been in the pipeline. BT is fully supportive of >> these initiatives." >> TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: City of Independence was looking very >> favorably at muni-wi-fi for our town, but SBC -- Southwestern Bell -- >> put a kibosh on it, threatening to get the state commission to do a >> rule like that proposed for Pennsylvania. SBC did not like the idea >> at all of a community giving away for free the DSL service they >> charge an arm and a leg for. PAT] > And we all know why Verizon and SBC don't like the idea. First - Skype > is now available for the Palm OS. So tell me, what happens when for > say $10 a month you can use the muni network. You load Skype on your > laptop or PDA and use it to make and receive calls while in the city. > This kills both wire line and wireless. The incumbent carriers are > scared. They can see that their years of reliance on tariff are coming > to a crashing halt. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I did something sort of exciting for > me a couple days ago. Our local McDonalds has a WiFi network but I > have never seen anyone use it. So when I went over for lunch the > other day, I took along my IBM ThinkPad laptop (it is a really > ancient model, the 770, but it is networked both with wires and > with my wireless NetGear router card) and played around on line > with it while I had lunch. PAT]

Speaking of which, I noted a Cisco wireless router hanging from the ceiling of my local Shaw's (Aka Albertsons and boy do I hate that fact!) today. One of these days I'll borrow a friends iPaq with the 802.11b card in it and see if I can connect.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.