Re: MSNBC/NYT: Caller ID Forging [telecom]

Actually, there is. Look at ITU-T Recommendation Q.763, the Calling

>Party Number information element. It includes two bits: >Screening indicator >0 0 reserved (Note 2) >0 1 user provided, verified and passed >1 0 reserved (Note 2) >1 1 network provided >NOTE 2 - Code 00 and 10 are reserved for "user provided, not >verified" and "user provided, verified and failed" >respectively. Codes 00 and 10 are for national use. >These are also included in ISDN signaling to the subscriber. Now >whether telcos ever bother to screen is a different question. (I

I don't have copies any more, but I am very sure the Telcordia (Bellcore, back then when I worked with them) interworking standards for Q.931 to SS7-ISUP, as well as the various Generic Requirements for switches, required those bits to be set to "0 1" if the calling party number was provided by customer equipment. I participated in at least one test where a network element failed because it did not correctly implement this, in fact, and then could not be connected to an ILEC network.

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.