Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

The 7506 -- I'm not familiar with that model so I googled. Looks very

> much like a 7406 except the speaker, mute, etc. buttons are in the > wrong place.

The 7506 and its big brother the 7507 are the only ISDN desk sets I've ever seen in use anywhere. T/LU/Avaya ceased manufacturing them several years ago, and MIT is one of Avaya's largest customers for the refurbs and maintenance. At this point, I think they (IS&T) are just hoping the things will last long enough to figure out how the economic model for VOIP works, and then they can dump the 750[67]s (most of which are being used by staff, who already have newish computers with sound cards) and probably significantly downsize if not eliminate the

5E.

Life safety is a big issue, particularly, on a campus the size of MIT's the whole E911-for-VOIP quagmire. They'll probably have to keep some analog capability for the foreseeable future, but if they can get everyone over to VOIP by 2009ish they could probably outsource the remaining copper.

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every snipped-for-privacy@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own Opinions not those | search for greater freedom. of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003)

Reply to
Garrett Wollman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.