Re: Last Laugh! Re: Exploding Lithium-Ion Battery Started House Fire

I almost had my pants catch fire when I swapped out a battery on a

> smoke detector and dropped the old one in my pants pocket. A few minutes > later I felt something hot in my pocket and I reached in and found the 9v > battery had shorted on some change in my pocket. > Even batteries that may be 'dead' can still have the potential to do > harm if they overheat. >> >>>

formatting link

>> By Mike Hughlett >>> Tribune staff reporter >>> July 13, 2006 >>> It has the ring of an urban legend: A cell phone blows up and sets >>> fire to a house. >>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: For those people inclined to think that >>> a fire caused by an exploding battery is 'just another urban legend' >>> which never has any verifiable source to it, here is an instance where >>> proof is available: Chicago Tribune, July 13, 2006 Section B, with a >>> real person named. PAT] >> There was a recent incident where a Dell laptop went up in flames >> at a conference in Asia. >> It's amazing how hot a 9 volt transistor battery gets when it >> contacts the loose change in your pocket. >> Energy = Energy >> Uncontrolled Energy = Bomb > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, Mister Hot-Pants-a-Fire, I presume > there was no damage of any sort to your essential parts down there; > you did not have to call the Fire Department to put it out, did you? > I know ... its not funny ... but it _is_ funny! PAT]

What department do you call to "pat it out"?

;-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.