Re: ISP Hunting

>> Don't you want news-server access? That's the most common

>> deal-breaker for me. > Nope. No web hosting, no email, no usenet, no technical support, > hell, they don't even need a tollfree customer service number. > DNS is about the only thing I'd use (other then IP transit) but it's > not mandatory, I run my own DNS servers anyway (and most of the stuff > I'll be accessing will be through my VPN and in-house proxies anyway) > Once the VPN is up I can access literally everything I need right > through there. Just PPTP at the moment, although if I have the time > to get IPSec working, I might switch over. >> Budget ISPs often contract with dialup providers. The quality of >> service can depend on this, and the ISP's representative may not be in >> a position to know what's wrong. > True enough. >> At $9.95 I've been with localnet a couple of years, I guess. At times >> I've looked for alternatives, but in the long run things have worked >> out. > I'll check 'em out, thanks! Any idea what they're like for short-term > access?

They charge $12 setup, so the first month would be $21.95, if that's what you mean.

There were no problems for my first several months. Sometimes episodes of repeated annoyances have made me think of switching, but they got fixed. That's what I mean by "the long run."

As someone pointed out, freedomlist.com has lots of cheap ISPs, and some are probably very good. They say localnet is too expensive. I tried access4less based on recommendations there. As it turned out, their service had recently gone bad. It was terrible in many ways: the signup, download speeds, and customer service. A few days after I signed up, they dropped dialup. I was glad I hadn't dropped localnet.

Reply to
Choreboy
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.