Re: ISP Hunting

DevilsPGD wrote:

>> I'm going to be just outside of Chicago (Skokie, if you must know) for >> an unknown period of time and looking to find out what the cheapest >> way to get internet access would be. >> I have no need for anything other then basic connectivity, and the >> ability to establish HTTPS connections to a known IP and PPTP >> connections to another known IP (not even DNS is required) and I >> certainly will not need ISP provided email, webspace, or anything of >> the sort. I also absolutely refuse to install any crapware provided >> by an ISP. >> I'm eyeballing dialup access through ISP.COM which offers $8.95 - 56K >> Regular Dial-up -- any thoughts, good or bad? Can I do better? >> Any thoughts? > Don't you want news-server access? That's the most common > deal-breaker for me.

Nope. No web hosting, no email, no usenet, no technical support, hell, they don't even need a tollfree customer service number.

DNS is about the only thing I'd use (other then IP transit) but it's not mandatory, I run my own DNS servers anyway (and most of the stuff I'll be accessing will be through my VPN and in-house proxies anyway)

Once the VPN is up I can access literally everything I need right through there. Just PPTP at the moment, although if I have the time to get IPSec working, I might switch over.

Budget ISPs often contract with dialup providers. The quality of > service can depend on this, and the ISP's representative may not be in > a position to know what's wrong.

True enough.

At $9.95 I've been with localnet a couple of years, I guess. At times > I've looked for alternatives, but in the long run things have worked > out.

I'll check 'em out, thanks! Any idea what they're like for short-term access?

> Don't you want news-server access? That's the most common >> deal-breaker for me. > It shouldn't be a concern. > If the price is cheap enough for an ISP you've chosen and they don't > provide a news server, also get a news account at Newsguy >
formatting link
. They have a special plan that they offer > one year of news server access for forty dollars. I used them once > when a ten dollar a month ISP I was then using dropped their news > server without telling anyone.

formatting link
-- You can't beat free. Oh, and as soon as Mike updates the page, my name will be appearing on
formatting link
too :)

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.