Re: How Emojis Find Their Way to Phones [telecom]

>

>> ... I'm considering switching to "UTF-8" ... > > I most wholeheartedly and enthusiastically encourage you to do so, and as > soon as practical :-) ! ISO 8859-1 (and -2, and -15, et al.) won't ever be > good for more than isolated, local, insular, stop-gap use. UTF-8, OtOH, is > a universal solution that even Apple and Microsoft are coming around to > accepting after decades of promulgating their own, proprietary methods.

As I can't read Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, Arabic, Greek, Innuit, Hebrew or anything in Cyrillic and don't want to see emoji, I'm happy with ISO-8859-1 or even ASCII. I find news, mail and web sites that use (what I take to be) UTF-8 punctuation really annoying. I can read German and puzzle out bits in French, Spanish and Italian but they use the Roman characters.

***** Moderator's Note ***** > > I'd like some more opinions on this: please respond either online or > offline, and let me know if you are in favor of the Telecom Digest > switching from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.

There you go. Thanks for asking.

Reply to
Mike Spencer
Loading thread data ...

I wouldn't like to see the switch. I still read the group via a newsreader. Emojis and other UTF-8 cruft would look like garbage and damage the readability of the posts.

Reply to
Ron

:That's the problem in a nutshell: I want to keep the Digest compatible :with newsreaders, but I don't want to obstruct the use of :(appropriate) accented characters in posts.

:Maybe I'm looking at this in an unproductive way, so I'll add these :questions to my reuest for opinions:

:1. Is there Open-source software available to convert ISO-8859-1 to/from UTF-8?

Yes. Lots, on any platform you care to work on.

:2. Are there versions of pine, et al, which are able to understand utf-8?

yes. There are particular software programs that haven't been updated, either because they're not maintained or because their maintainers actively worked to make them incompatable. But there are suitable replacments available, for almost every platform.

:3. What do users of "ascii only" newsreaders gain or lose from switching to utf-8?

the ability to spell names correctly, instead of butchering them into ASCII. The ability to properly use various symbols that come in technical conversations, instead of poor ASCII approximations of them.

Reply to
David Scheidt

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'll second that. My newsreader doesn't understand utf-8. I'd have to get another newsreader just for this forum. I do understand the push to preserve character sets where needed.

Reply to
David LaRue

Yes.

Yes. The standard Unix version of Alpine shows UTF-8 messages quite nicely.

Non-ASCII characters look ugly in different ways in 8859 and UTF-8.

UTF-8 is definitely the code of the future. I use trn with roxterm, an open source X terminal, and it shows UTF-8 fine.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

[snip]

I mostly use a really old browser that renders it as hentracks. If I save a page as text with c> I wouldn't like to see the switch. I still read the group via a

Same. And this *is* an English-language venue.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

But it does, if, as your headers report, it's xnews:

: User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25

No sweat there, as I understand it :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.