Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

>> snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

>>> >>>> Someone mentioned Bell using jet engines for central office power >>>> backup. I'm kind of surprised at this. The electric companies use >>>> them for summer supplements. They are very expensive to run, but can >>>> get up to speed very quickly. I believe the phone companies use more >>>> conventional diesel engines to power generators. If there is a power >>>> failure, central office battery has enough capacity to keep things >>>> going for a while, more than enough time to power up a diesel engine. >>>> The jet engine has the advantage of being smaller.) >>> Every "emergency engine" I ever saw in a telephone building was a >>> conventional diesel engine. My father-in-law was shop foreman for a >>> company that sold and service large earth moving equipment in Enid, >>> Oklahoma, and from time to time they were called upon to routine the >>> auto-start emergency engine in the Enid c.o. It was a conventional GM >>> diesel engine like those used on earth moving equipment and >>> locomotives. >> [snip] >> New England Telephone went with turbine-powered alternators in the >> large Boston-area buildings, most with capacities far in excess of >> what was required for the C.O. itself: the unit at Back Bay was rated >> at 2500 KW. >> If I had to guess, I'd say they got a good deal because Allison and >> other turbine manufacturers were selling the aeronautical power units >> that they had stockpiled during the Vietnam war. >> The power technicians didn't like them, because they were a major >> change from the diesel units, but they could power a small city and >> they were, as I said, used to generate power for the commerical grid >> during summer peak load periods. >> Suburban offices with more modest needs remained on diesel. >> William Warren >> (Filter noise from my address for direct replies) > I'm not certain but I think one is also on the PVDRIWADS02 switching > center, except that it isn't on the roof but built between the old and > new buildings. I've heard it on several occasions and it does sound > like a chopper at idle. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I am reminded of the old 'Kenwood Bell' > (Illinois Bell's Chicago-Kenwood central office in its crossbar > switching days) at 61st and Kenwood Avenue on a hot summer evening > many years ago. With all the windows open (air conditioning was not > yet invented, I do not think) you could hear that thing at least a > block or two away down the street as you walked up to and past the > property. PAT]

Unfortunately for me I've never heard a live electromechanical switch. It was a delight testing my recent acquisition, two WE 551C KSU's. Connecting the A to A1 leads gives a nice thunk of relays engaging and the light for the card illuminates. Now I just have to apply ring voltage and see if the interrupter still works.

But I never got to hear things like Panel which existed in my city until I was 7 years old, but I was unaware of it.

Did get to hear a call processing through a noisy #5 Xbar though when we moved into North Providence and ended up with a Pawtucket rate center number. Even that cut to a #5/2000 ESS just before I moved back to Providence.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.