Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A water cooler with a DC motor is

>> interesting; but did you ever see a _refrigerator_ powered by -gas- >> rather than -electricity-? I had one of those in a long since for- >> gotten apartment in Chicago back in the 1960's. No motor of course, no >> compressor, etc, but it was a refrigerator, freezer, etc, and I think >> (cannot remember for sure) it was manufactured by 'Frigidaire >> Company'. Totally silent of course. I have no idea how it worked; if >> I ever knew, I have since forgotten. PAT] > I encountered a gas refrigerator on a trip out West back in 1966 or > so. The place we stayed had only recently got AC power so the gas > refrigerator made sense. It seemed to be cold and freeze water just > like any other refrigerator. Being 9 or 10 years old at the time I > was fascinated that a device could be built that could make cold using > only a flame. My dad had seen such things before and was not surprised, > he told me there were even kerosene refrigerators at one time. > Anyway Google "absorption cycle" if you want to know the history and > how it works. Here's one example: >
formatting link
> Sorry, can't think of any way to tie this back to telecom. Never > heard of a gas phone. > Dave Grebe > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But I have heard that when a gas leak > is suspected, one should _never_ use a telephone in the vicinity as > there is a remote chance of a spark hitting the gas and causing an > explosion. PAT]

You can still purchase brand new gas or kerosene powered refrigerators. Here is a link to one company that showed up in a quick search.

formatting link
I have no connections with the company nor have I purchased anything from them.

You can still find units for recreational purposes as well as for fixed installations like fishing cabins or homes in remote locations.

My fathers camper had a refrigerator that worked on 120v, 12v, or gas. I seem to remember it would switch and use 120, 12v, or gas in that order once he turned it on. The automatic switch-over feature was nice for times when we were at a remote site and someone left a light on when we went fishing. We would come back and find the battery dead but the refrigerator still keeping things cold using the gas mode.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.