Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

>> Someone mentioned Bell using jet engines for central office power

>> backup. I'm kind of surprised at this. The electric companies use >> them for summer supplements. They are very expensive to run, but can >> get up to speed very quickly. I believe the phone companies use more >> conventional diesel engines to power generators. If there is a power >> failure, central office battery has enough capacity to keep things >> going for a while, more than enough time to power up a diesel engine. >> The jet engine has the advantage of being smaller.) > Every "emergency engine" I ever saw in a telephone building was a > conventional diesel engine. My father-in-law was shop foreman for a > company that sold and service large earth moving equipment in Enid, > Oklahoma, and from time to time they were called upon to routine the > auto-start emergency engine in the Enid c.o. It was a conventional GM > diesel engine like those used on earth moving equipment and > locomotives.

SBC (Pacific Bell) Canoga Park CA had an International Harvester Solar gas turbine power plant on the roof for many years -- since it needed to be on the roof to conserve ground-level space for parking, they needed something light and small. Personally confirmed during a long ago Open House.

I think it's still up there, but I haven't driven by the CO during a test run or power failure for many years. Sounds exactly like a jet helicopter parked on the roof at idle (muffled as much as practical) and it takes the turbine a good 30 seconds to spool up to speed and take the load. But since the switching equipment is on the battery plant, the extra delay was not a problem.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.