Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Not just those who can't remember a four digit code, but how about

> those who never got your code? I tried to call an old friend the > other night whom I hadn't spoken to in years. He's got that feature > installed and I have no idea what his code is. So, I didn't get to > talk to an old buddy I hadn't been in contact with in a very long > time. And there's no way to leave him a message letting him know I > called.

I sympathize. But does he have the "*" emergency break-through enabled? If so, then you can break through the lock; you just have to state your name and see if he takes the call. If not, then he's chosen to lock out people who don't have the code; and you'll have to use email or buy a postage stamp.

Not long ago, I heard from two old friends from 30 years ago. One wrote a letter, the other sent email. After that long a period of time, it's probably better to use written contact rather than suddenly barging in with a phone call. You don't know how someone's life has changed in the past several decades, much less whether a phone call would be a burden or even unwelcome.

Note that in a true emergency, you can ask the phone company to make an emergency contact with someone and pass along a message. They pass along "so-and-so is dying, call such-and-such number immediately" type messages to estranged family members all the time.

-- Mark --

formatting link
does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply to
Mark Crispin
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.