PCS CDMA confusion

In the United States do all carriers use the same implementation of CDMA 800? I have wanted to purchase the Samsung SPH-i500 but it is only offered by Sprint and I live in a remote area not available for Sprint service. The phone is specified to support CDMA 1900/ CDMA 800 / AMPS 800. Our carrier here supports CDMA 800 / AMPS 800. Shouldn't I be able to purchase the phone and have it programmed for my carriers network (minus the PCS features of course)? I have spoken to three tech support people at my carrier and received three different answers. These were: 1) Yes it should work fine 2) No it definitely will not work, Sprint is a PCS service that is incompatible. 3) It may work, but they can't guarantee I will be billed correctly.

I hate to buy the phone and have it not work. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Reply to
signaturefactory
Loading thread data ...

The phone is technically compatible with your carrier's network, however it is locked to Sprint's network. Unless you get the unlock key for the phone, it can not be reprogrammed to your carrier's network.

You probably will also need to know the command (which is generally not documented in the user's guide) for manual programming of the phone. It may not be possible to do automatic programming of the phone from the carrier's network.

Verizon does not lock their phones.

-- Mark --

formatting link
does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply to
Mark Crispin

Thanks a lot. Do you know if there are legality issues concerning obtaining a phone, getting the MSL and reprogramming for a different network?

Reply to
signaturefactory

There are no legal issues that I am aware of, but there is another problem. As CDMA phones sold in the US do not use a SIM type of device, each phone has a unique ESN. Carriers buy phones in bulk with a block of ESN numbers in a specific range. If your phone, even if it is the same manufacturer, does not have an ESN within the carrier's block, they may refuse to activate the phone as it would require an extensive update of all their databases to show the foriegn ESN is authorized and not a roaming unit.

Reply to
Justin Time

Not correct. ESN registry propagation is actually quite simple and efficent. If not, it would take months before you could travel from one SID to the next with your phone every time you switched handsets.

Some carriers DO restrict activation to specfic ESN ranges in their inventory, but this is mainly by choice, and done to ensure that the phone has the correct firmware and application software (i.e. Java vs. BREW), and to ensure that tech support can actually offer technical assistance with your equipment. Some carriers (like Alltel) don't care so much about this, and as long as the phone meets the CDMA spec and also meets current FCC requirements such as AGPS and MDN/MSID differentiation, it can be activated. Others (like Sprint) are very strict in this regard, and will almost never activate a device that isn't within its inventory of Sprint-native phones.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

I found that my carrier does allow ESN registration. I bought the phone and gave them the ESN and they have activated it. Now I am just waiting for the MSL.

Reply to
signaturefactory

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.