Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

In another thread Pat mentioned FX lines. As mentioned, these were

> used to save on long distance changes -- customers would make a local > call to a distant business and the business could call its customers > for the cost of a local call. This service was not cheap. > At a resort I visited that had FX lines to a city 75 miles away, the > switchboard had special heavy cord pairs. Extensions authorized for > FX had a second jack underneath in which the heavy cord was inserted. > I heard FX lines used higher voltage thus the heavy cords. I don't > know what kind of special wiring, if any, was in the telephone sets. > I would guess WATS and long distance packages has made most FX lines > obsolete. There was toll free before 800 numbers but it was manual > and a local number added a comfort factor.

There is something else too that is going the way of the dodo: tie lines. These were useful for large universities with multiple campuses, as well as businesses with more than one hub operation in distant cities.

A tie line is usually part of a PBX system and works like this: instead of getting an outside line, you dial a special code that connects you to the PBX at the distant office. There could be multiple codes, each one connecting you to a different distant location, depending on how big your organization is. You can then call any extension in that distant PBX, OR get an outside line in that distant PBX and make a local call in that area without incurring toll charges.

Of course, tie lines, too, are pricey, but in their day they were economical if your organization had a lot of voice traffic going back and forth from each office, and saved some cash making LD calls in certain areas, too.

Nowadays, cheaper LD and Voice over IP is making tie lines quite obsolete. I currently work in a large organization that has three major complexes spread out across the state, that are connected to tie lines. All three sites have CENTREX systems, and the tie lines are accessed through it. Recently, one of the three sites migrated to a completely VoIP system, which effectively "broke" the tie line (the other two sites can no longer use the tie line to call site 3, incurring toll charges while site 3 is saving TONS of money ... all of its calles are net-routed now). Ultimately, the only option appears to be that the other two sites have to upgrade as well, but technological inertia here for things as mundane as phones moves glacially slow.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers. Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.