Re: Very Early Modems

>> In the IBM history series by Pugh et al, they said IBM converted

>> punched cards to paper tape for transmission in the 1940s. My guess >> is that that particular transmission used telegraph TTY lines (not >> voice) of either AT&T or Western Union. Recall that AT&T maintained >> telegraph long distance lines as part of carrier long distance >> circuits. Because of the low bandwidth, a telegraph channel could be >> carried on the low end of a carrier channel. Accordingly, no >> modulation was required and thus no modem needed. >> It was also said IBM limited development in this area to avoid >> annoying AT&T who was IBM's best customer. >> However, in the 1950s, IBM developed card-to-card directly without >> paper tape and "over AT&T lines". Modems were developed to take good >> advtg of the available bandwidth (about 1200 baud). Undoubtedly the >> equipment and implementation was developed in close cooperation with >> AT&T. >> I was wondering if the modems in that application were supplied by IBM >> (who appears to have developed the technology) or by AT&T. My >> understanding that AT&T's "Dataset" modem-telephones didn't come out >> until the 1960s. >> Comments by anyone familiar with pre-1960 data communications would be >> greatly appreciated. > Here is a picture of a 1958 AT&T modem (not sure if this is the first > commercial modem, the Bell 103. If so it was 300 baud): >
formatting link

So the carrier was on tape. How interesting.

I guess at that point it was hard to stabilize a tube based oscillator.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.