Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

In article , TELECOM Digest

> Editor noted in response to Robert Bonomi: >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: As Robert knows, those four additional >> touch tone keys were known as A,B,C, and D. I forget the exact >> meaning of each, but my question is, did anyone with 'regular' >> service but with an Autovon phone ever try pressing those keys in >> a regular call? I did a couple times, and the immediate result was >> a 'fast busy' signal; the call would not complete. PAT] > On the PSTN, it somewhat depended on the switch and programming. > 'Reorder' was the very-common switch reaction. There were a few > switches that completely 'ignored' those signals. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But did you ever see/hear any that > neither ignored nor offered re-order, but instead actually _did > something_ ? I never did. PAT]

I knew of a couple of PBXs that used 'em for some call-routing selections. Twas an easy way to make a particular feature 'not available' from most phones, -without- having to get into extended "class of service" restrictions.

I never encountered a _telco_ C.O. that implemented any user-accessible functionality on them. I've got a vague recollection of some telco 'test' systems that used em _after_ the call to the test system was connected. Of course, that _wasn't_ the switch doing it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.