Re: EFFector 19.12: Action Alert - Stop Congress from XXXing

EFFector Vol. 19, No. 12 March 31, 2006 snipped-for-privacy@eff.org

> A Publication of the Electronic Frontier Foundation > ISSN 1062-9424

In the 373th Issue of EFFector:

* Action Alert: Stop Congress from XXXing with Free Speech! > * EFF Motion in AT&T Surveillance Case Draws Government's Eye > * "Email -- Should the Sender Pay?": EFF Fundraiser, Debate Between > Esther Dyson and Danny O'Brien > * Hearing Set for Key Bloggers' Rights Case > * FEC Protects Bulk of Internet Speech From Campaign Finance Rules > * DMCA Rulemaking Hearings Underway > * miniLinks (15): The Gagged ISP Operator > * Administrivia >
formatting link
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I can tell you right now what the > answer to that third item on email -- 'Should sender pay'-- be: if > the senders are going to be sending out these _HUGE_ loads of crap > like I found in my inbox (inbox yet, to say nothing of spam box > which had a record volume while I was in the hospital) -- if they > are going to be sending all that out then YES they should be required > to pay for it. I mean, I was working on spam, weeding it out most of > Thursday morning. PAT]

I take it then, that _you_ are ready, willing, and prepared to pay to send out TELECOM Digest emails, right?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Absolutely! If in fact, TELECOM Digest is detirmined to be 'spam' (not very likely IMO), then I would have to pay to send it out, as would other publshers similarly situated. I say it is not very likely, since -- if you will quit pouting and read along with me for a few minutes -- what we shall call the 'AOL people' (meaning that organization and its pay-for-email-supporters) have all said they do not intend to change a thing where _estabished, bonafide_ mailing lists and newsgroups are concerned. You understand, of course, (at least I think you understand) that this would all be a moot point if it were not for the spam-enablers among us; not the spammers, but the enablers.

If mosquitos bite your arms in the next three or four months, do you blame the mosquitos for doing what comes naturally to them? But if you were given a can of RAID or similar but refused to use it or only used it in a half-hearted way (puh-leese! let's not go through the inventory of excuses all over again!) then I would blame you. I do not expect any better out of mosquitos, nor of spammers, either. They are all low-life. Well, spammers can sometimes be trained. Now if the enablers did a good, comprehensive job of abatement, none of this would be needed. But I am sure it will come to that before long. The enablers won't be able to get off their high-horses long enough to work together; every worthwhile plan will be damned to hell by all the others so those of us who put out our little ouvres each day or three will have to pay for it. So yeah, to answer your question, I would have to start paying also if it came to 'that point'. PAT]

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.