Re: 'Dr. Phil Show' Gets Ripped Off by Con Artist

We get 'Dr. Phil' on Channel 7 on CableOne here in Independence each

> weekday at 3:00 PM. It just now came on today, and the good doctor > is complaining that his name and reputation has been ripped off by > some Nigerian-407 style con artists. Someone got a toll free 800 > number listed as 'Doctor Phil' and when anyone calls 800 directory > assistance for (the real) Dr. Phil, the directory robot operator > gives them the number for the bogus 'Doctor Phil'. The person on the > other end claims to be the producer of the show, and asks for money > to set up an interview with him. Naturally, the money (at least a few > hundred dollars, typically a thousand or more) has to be wired to the > con-artist on the spot. He has an FBI investigator and others looking > into it. Thus far, it has been traced to somewhere in Houston, TX, > where the calls terminate on various phone lines. Two victims thus > far have wired money to the scammer in Houston, each of them from > desparate elderly people who were convinced to send large amounts of > money to the bogus 'Dr. Phil'. On television they are trying to lure > the con-artist out into the open. The scammer claims the money should > be wired to 'Esther Hernandez' who is (the bogus) Dr. Phil's secretary. > More details on this in the next issue of the Digest. Now I want to > go in and watch the rest of it on television myself. > PAT
[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I am amused by your comparison. :) You are probably correct. On the Wednesday show, Dr. Phil was outraged by this ripoff; he spent the entire hour dealing with it, and it will be continued on today's show. The imposter is apparently not all that sophisticated; the wo(man) claiming to be his producer/secretary is sort of crude, but smart enough many of his would-be guests were decieved by the trick. It has all been traced thus far to Houston, TX, at least that's where Western Union wires money to the imposter. I do not know which I like better on the afternoon television lineup around here: Dr. Phil, Judge Judy or Jerry Springer. Maybe I will stick with the classical music programming on KOSU, along with the NPR newscasts. PAT]
Reply to
Sam Spade
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.