Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Bob Alan asked about Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance on Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:48:50 -0500

You can contact your local ILEC and remove any LD > preferred carrier arrangement, if you wish.

One thing I failed to mention in my original answer, but the latest response reminded me, was about the high costs the incumbents charge to make simple (non-hardware) changes to your Teleco lines. In the bill I mentioned in my response, there appeared a note (in the FYI section) below the billing section regarding an increase in the charge to change/modify LD carrier on the line. Verizon indicated that effective the effective Jan 1, 2006, new rates apply when you change your LD carrier but ... there were options in how much the charge.

If one calls the Verizon business office the charge is now $5.50. However, if one were to establish an account on-line and use the Internet (see, there are advantages -- at least for now -- in using the Internet!), the charge to change LD carriers is only $1.25. AND if you change both regional toll and LD carrier at the same time the charge will be discounted an additional 50%.

Isn't that nice. Cost of doing business: one more reason to go to VoIP (or even a cell) service.

John Stahl Telecom and Data Consultant Aljon Enterprises

Reply to
John Stahl
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.