Re: Cost of POTS, w/o Long Distance

On a BellSouth POTS line, if no long distance carrier is assigned, a

> long distance call cannot be dialed accidentally using 1 + 10 digits, > but you can dial long distance by dialing 101 + the carrier code + 10 > digits. The only way to avoid this is to pay for a restricted line, > which is several dollars more per month.

I think this is pretty much the norm but is somewhat different than what I was commenting on. The situation you describe would certainly NOT result in the call being assigned to a "random carrier".

> LD call should, even by accident, be placed from your phone, you may >> find yourself assigned to a random carrier for that call, and this >> carrier will bill you at an unbelievably high per minute rate.

As was pointed out in another reply, the only way I see this happening is if the LEC screws up and actually assigns you to a "random" carrier when you really wanted none.

Reply to
Ken Abrams
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.